The time period for accepting comments is longer than first thought due to delays in completing the necessary preparation work. You can comment up to Wednesday 20th October. See the news item below for further information.
Based on archaeological evidence (Bronze Age and Roman) there has been a settlement on the hill where the town now stands since prehistoric times. As the name indicates Market Bosworth was primarily a market town having a royal charter for fair and market dating back to 1285.
In 1610, 543 people lived in the village. One hundred years later that figure had only risen to 618. In the decade of 1811-1821 the influx of weavers caused the population to grow by 29%, but even in 1911 there were still only 729 inhabitants living in Market Bosworth. It was only in the mid 20th century that the village experienced rapid population growth. At the end of the second World War there were 300 houses in Market Bosworth, but between 1956 and 1966, one hundred and fifty new houses were built. For the first time the population of the town exceeded 1000. Smaller scale developments in the 1970’s with and 1980’s and the building of the canal side development on the former timber treatment plant in the early 2000’s have allowed incremental growth in this historic market town.
The size of Market Bosworth has also remained fairly stable in terms of area. The relatively steep slopes which surround the town, combined with the jurisdiction of park land has, until recent decades, prevented expansion beyond the natural and historic boundaries.
Similarly the relatively rapid growth over the last 60 years can be attributed to the greater choice of domicile afforded by the motor vehicle and transport infrastructure. Balancing the daily exodus of many residents working outside Market Bosworth, there is significant influx of pupils to the three schools in the town.
Over its long rich history the market town has provided a focal point, schooling and agricultural administrative centre for the surrounding region whilst remaining a small, intimate, lively and social community.