Bosworth Vision recognises that the Neighbourhood Development Plan needs to reconcile the development needs of the future whilst retaining the essential character of the town.
The following themes and issues have been suggested as the main foci to be addressed within the NDP
- Building a sustainable community
- Meeting future housing and business needs
- Transport/parking Infrastructure
- Open Spaces
- Conservation Area
The Neighbourhood Development Plan has to recognise and work within the legal parameters of national planning frameworks. Key Rural Centres Stand Alone, such as Market Bosworth, are those settlements outside the National Forest and away from the edge of Leicester that provide services to their rural hinterlands. The focus for Market Bosworth will be on consolidating and improving the existing services and maintaining the strong sense of individual identity.
Improving transport links and strengthening and improving existing tourist attractions (Bosworth Water Trust, Country Park, Market Place, Shackerstone Steam Railway and Ashby Canal) to encourage more weekend visits. Some elements identified by H&BBC (Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council) that support local services and maintain rural population levels are identified below and will help inform the NDP:
- Allocation of land for the development of a minimum of 100 new homes taking into account the latest Housing Market Assessment and local housing needs survey
- Support additional employment provision to meet local needs
- Support the role of Market Bosworth as a tourist destination in its own right and linked to the Bosworth Battlefield and Ashby Canal Corridor
- Support the improvement of the healthcare facilities in Market Bosworth to support the increase in population, to be delivered by the PCT and developer contributions
- Address the existing deficiencies in the quality, quantity and accessibility of green space and play provision in Market Bosworth with new green space and play provision to be provided where necessary to meet required standards
- Implement the strategic green infrastructure network. To achieve this, the following strategic interventions relating to Market Bosworth will be required:
- Improved connections between Market Bosworth and Market Bosworth Water Trust
- Protect the fingers of green open land which penetrate towards the Market Place as these are important to the rural settings of the town as supported by the Hinckley and Bosworth Landscape Character Assessment.
- Bosworth Battlefield; disused railway line – Nuneaton to Market Bosworth Multifunctional Corridor
- Bagworth to Market Bosworth Multifunctional Corridor
- Deliver safe cycle routes in particular Market Bosworth to Carlton
- Seek improvements to the High School indoor sports facilities and outdoor pool and the playing fields near Bosworth Water Trust as supported by the Hinckley and Bosworth Cultural facilities audit including improved community access and availability
- Support the provision of a new car park at Dixie Grammar School
- Require new development to respect the character and appearance of the Market Bosworth Conservation Area by incorporating locally distinctive features of the conservation area into the development.